Saturday, January 11, 2014

Smoky Cheesy Tahini Dressing with Lemongrass















































Smoky Cheesy Tahini Dressing with Lemongrass
Before I became vegan the dressings I used came from a convenient bottle or a honey mustard version I’d make at home. It’s not that I didn’t want to expand and try new ones it’s just that I hadn’t thought about it nor the possibilities. However, today as a healthy conscientious foodie I’ve learned to create the creaminess I once had with dairy based products. Nuts are a perfect substitute and once you’ve tried you may fall in love with the results.  

I love salads from simple to loaded with grains, rice, nuts, sprouts, avocado and a wonderful dressing takes it up a notch. This creamy cheesy smoky tahini version Is one I came up with this week when I ran out of my cilantro lime dressing.  So I brought out the blender and just started adding to it using the  base ingredients and then building up for something different. I wanted a tahini dressing, added the water and lemon juice with mustard but found it wasn’t as thick as I’d like, so I then added the sunflower seeds, a little chipotle for smoke and nutritional yeast for a slighty cheesy flavor. My husband and I both loved the results and to be sure it wasn’t a fluke, I made another batch today from memory and it turned just a delicious and had it again for lunch. I’d use this dressing for hearty salads such as kale and cabbage, on tacos, and dipping veggies, it seems so versatile. The recipe makes a sizeable batch but it’s so good it may not last long.

Makes 1 ¾ cups

Ingredients 
1 cup water
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp tamari or noma shoyu
¼  tsp sea salt
2 tsp lemongrass minced
1 medium garlic minced
3 tbsp tahini
2 heaping tsp Dijon mustard
¼ chipotle pepper in adobe sauce
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ cup raw sunflower seeds - or soaked seeds for a live dressing

Add water, lemon juice, then all other ingredients except the sunflower seeds and blend for 5 seconds to combine, then add the sunflower seeds and blend on high until creamy.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy. I'm excited to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a nice post. I like your post.Thanks for sharing this post

    ReplyDelete