Monday, June 16, 2014

Tacos with Coconut Quinoa, Banana and Kidney Beans
































































Tacos with Coconut Quinoa, Banana and Kidney Beans
I’m thrilled to be part of the “Save Summer Campaign” by SoDelicious. It’s about remembering all the things you loved to do as a kid and the foods you enjoyed. You can read more about it on their website and Facebook page and how you can participate by sharing photographs you’ve taken of what summer means to you. For my “Love Note” theme I wanted to combine a couple things. As a child I always loved fruit, my dad would take me to the market and I’d fill a basket full of plums, cherries, peaches and grapes, I would eat that all summer long especially after a full days swim in our backyard pool – so refreshing.  I also loved the tacos made at home, who doesn’t love tacos, though then it was filled with beef and chorizo with red salsa. Things have changed since then and now my tacos are filled with kinder foods such as tempeh, veggies, beans, or tofu. This time around I went for something a bit sassy and different using quinoa as my base and combing it with coconut milk, cayenne, lime juice and finishing it with banana and kidney beans, the result is sweet and spicy, with hints of surprise a bit like my husband.  I topped it with fresh avocado and cilantro and having made this twice, I then finished it with mango salsa, which I definitely recommend – 3-4 tacos lined pretty on a plate with all the fixins’ and my husband loves me all over again, it’s all thumbs up and smiles. This coconut quinoa is also an excellent salad on it’s own or as a side dish to grilled tempeh, you decide!!! And this is my savory love note!
Enjoy xox

Indredients - plus more below after quinoa cooked
1 cup quinoa rinsed well
1 cup So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
3/4 cup water
¼ -½ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
Zest from one lime
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper –
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp toasted unsweetened shredded coconut - optional
Black pepper to taste

Note:  this is a creamy quinoa so don’t expect light and fluffy as cooked with just water.
Milk also sputters from the lid while cooking so I have the lid slightly open to allow steam to escape.

Method
Combine quinoa, coconut milk, water, lime juice, sea salt, and cayenne in medium pot, bring to a boil then simmer covered, but not completely covered - allow a little steam to escape - for 18 minutes.
When done fluff with fork and add the maple syrup, and toasted shredded coconut if using, stir and let sit covered off the heat for 15 minutes. – after 15 minutes add the quinoa to a large bowl and add the below ingredients

Additional Ingredients
Add the lime zest
One green onion sliced
Handful cilantro chopped
½ large banana sliced into 4 sections and sliced into small chunks
½ can kidney beans or whole can - rinsed
Fresh ground black pepper and more salt if needed.

Combine and add this to the tacos finish with fresh avocado, cilantro and hot sauce or try the mango salsa below


Mango Salsa
1 mango cubed into small pieces
juice of 1 lime
1 green onion sliced
1 garlic minced
sea salt to taste
handful chopped cilantro


Combine all in medium bowl

2 comments:

  1. So interested to try these! I've never had banana in a savoury dish but I love plantains and I use other fruits in salad all the time so why not?
    Just checking, we don't have So Delicious over here. Is that the kind of coconut milk in a can or carton?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Girl!!!! Actually, the milk is a beverage in a carton! i have tried the one in can and it comes out super creamy. If using canned I would use light and more water to milk ratio and it will s till be creamy, it also takes a little longer to cook with the cream, and it sputters so leave lid slightly ajar!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete